When it comes to having a cookout, using a gas grill is easy and convenient.
They are easy to light, you can maintain a consistent temperature, and you won’t be creating lots of smoke.
If you are looking for a great gas grill but you don’t have a huge budget then you are in the right place.
We have put together this list of the best gas grills under 500 dollars (see also ‘High-Quality Gas Grills Under $300‘) along with a review of each product.
We have also included a buying guide to give you some advice on how to choose the best gas grill that will meet all of your needs.
Keep reading if you want to find out the ideal gas grill for you.
Here are our recommendations for the best gas grills under 500 dollars.
First on the list we have the Char Broil performance 4 burner cart grill (see also ‘Are Char Broil Grills Good?‘). It is made from rust resistant stainless steel which is very durable.
The burners are also made from stainless steel and have a steady burn for even cooking.
There is an electronic ignition to make it really easy to light your grill.
This grill runs on propane/liquid petroleum gas (see also our article on gas grills and lava rocks) and is really easy to attach to a propane tank.
The wheels make it convenient to move the grill around and put it in a position that is safe and practical.
There is a removable grease pan with a ceramic coating for easy cleaning and maintenance. The cast iron grates are rust resistant and have a porcelain coating.
The whole unit weighs 85 pounds. It measures 50.4 inches wide, 24.5 inches deep and 45 inches high.
The cooking surface itself is 23 inches wide and 18.5 inches deep – enough space for about 20 burgers.
It has a swing away warming rack and a side burner – very helpful features for a cookout.
The stainless steel side shelves are handy for placing utentils, plates, condiments etc.
- Durable – The stainless steel is rust resistant and durable
- Maintenance – The grease tray is removable and easy to clean
- Ignition – The electronic ignition is easy to use
- Space – There is plenty of cooking space, a side burner, and stainless steel shelving
- Customer service – Some people found that the customer service department for Char broil were not very helpful if any issues arose
- Power Source: Propane/ liquid petroleum gas. The propane tank is not included.
- Exclusive Stainless Steel finish for increased style and durability
- Reliable electric ignition to fire up your grill and 10, 000 BTU side burner
- Porcelain-coated grease pan is durable and can be removed for easy cleaning
- Stainless Steel burners emit flame from the top to allow for even cooking
This high output gas grill offers an unparalleled amount of cooking space.
The grill rack space is 602 square inches, and there is an additional warming rack which is 193 square inches.
There is also an additional side burner and a U-shaped searer.
The double layer lid ensures maximum heat retention and the built in thermometer allows you to track the internal temperature of the grill.
The grill has a removable srip tray made out of galvanized steel for easy cleaning.
The grill itself is made from stainless steel which is very durable.
There is a storage cabinet underneath the grill, and two side shelves for food preparation.
The grill benefits from an electronic ignition system.
- Space– This grill has plenty of cooking space
- Storage – It has a storage cabinet and side shelves
- Lid – The lid is double layer for heat retention and has a thermometer
- Weight – This grill is large and heavy so even though it has wheels it is difficult to move around
- High Output: This durable 6-burner gas grill generates 71,000 BTU in total including 5 individually controlled tubular burners (10,000 BTU each), a sear burner (12,000 BTU) and a side burner (9,000 BTU) to achieve high performance.
- Spacious Cooking Area: Consists of primary cooking area – 602 sq. in. porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates and secondary cooking space – 193 sq. in. warming rack, offering a total of 795 sq. in. cooking area that serves to a large gathering.
- Sear Burner & Side Burner: U-shape sear burner at the right side generates 12,000 BTU to provide strong performance for quick grilling; lidded side burner offering 9,000 BTU is ideal for preparing side dishes or soups.
- Great Heat Retention: Double-layer lid ensures excellent heat retention for keeping food tasty and warm evenly. The dome creates an environment like oven to get a better flavor. Built-in thermometer monitors temperature in real-time.
- Hassle-free Cleanup: Made of galvanized steel, the removable grease tray is large enough to capture any drippings that escape. The removable grease cup also helps protect floors from fluid drips. Both are easy to slide out for hassle-free cleanup.
This classic grill from American Gourmet has everything you need from a gas grill. It runs on liquid propane gas and is very easy to use.
It provides 360 square inches of cooking space on porcelain coated grates which are rust resistant and easy to clean.
It also has a swing away rack which is ideal for warming, and measures 170 square inches. The metal side shelves offer brilliant storage space and a preparation area.
Inside the grill are three stainless steel in-line burners which provide consistent heat for perfectly cooked food.
You can fit up to 15 burgers on the grill at any one time. The swing away warming rack is ideal for toasting buns or keeping cooked meat warm.
The lid of the grill is coated in porcelain making it resistant to rust. This also makes it much more durable.
The grill can be started via an easy electronic ignition. The wheels make it easy to move the grill around to the best position for cooking.
- Space – There is plenty of cooking space on this grill
- Storage – The shelves provide storage and preparation space
- Materials – The grill is made from porcelain coated stainless steel which is durable, rust resistant and easy to clean
- Ignition – Some customers found that they needed to adjust the ignition before it would work
- 360 square inches of cooking space over porcelain-coated grates. Convectional cooking system
- 170 square inch porcelain-coated swing-a-way rack for warming
- Three stainless steel in-line burners for cooking performance
- Porcelain-coated steel lid and firebox stand up to weather and the elements
- Metal side shelves measure 12-inches w x 13-inches l providing extra storage and prep space
This is a 4 burner gas grill which is ideal for cookouts and BBQs. It has heavy duty cast iron cooking grates which retain the heat and a stainless steel lid.
It weighs 64 pounds and has wheels so it is easy to move around if you need to. There is a hose for connecting the grill to a propane tank.
This grill offers 443 square inches of cooking space aling with a 167 square inch warming rack.
You also get two side tables attached to the grill which measure 18 inches by 13 inches. These are ideal for prepping meat, slicing buns, and storing your condiments.
This grill has a drip tray which will collect all of the drippings, making it much easier for you to clean your grill after use.
Each of the frou burners has a temperature control dial, making it easier for you to control the heat of the grill.
You can make one area sizzling hot and another with a gentle heat for slower cooking.
The cover has a built-in thermometer which helps you to see when the grill has reached an ideal cooking temperature.
There is a handy bottle opener on the side of the grill, so the chef can always grab a cold beer even if they only have one hand free.
It comes with a 3 year warranty which gives you peace of mind.
- Burners – This grill has 4 gas burners with individual temperature controls
- Portable – It only weighs 64 pounds and has wheels
- Space – There is plenty of cooking space along with a warming rack
- Shelves – The two shelves offer an ideal preparation space
- Maintenance – The drip tray makes it very easy to keep the grill clean
- Bottle opener – There is a handy bottle opener on the side of the grill
- Warranty – This grill comes with a 3 year warranty
- Temperature Gague – Some customers found that the temperature gaugue was not accurate
- COOKING POWER: Four 11, 000 BTU burners provide a total 44, 000 BTUs of cooking power
- COOKING SPACE: The grill is equipped with 443 square inch of cooking space with an additional 167 square inch warming rack
- CAST IRON GRATES: Heavy-duty cast iron cooking grates are great for retaining heat
- PREP SPACE: Two 18" x 13" side tables provide ample space for food prep
- CONSTRUCTION: Stainless Steel lid and control panel. Actual product may vary from images shown due to product enhancement.
This three burner grill is the perfect medium sized outdoor gas grill (see also ‘Best Built In Outdoor Grills‘).
It weighs less than 40 pounds and has wheels so it is really easy to transport and move around, helping you to find the ideal cooking spot.
It is made from stainless steel which is durable and sturdy.
The push and turn ignition is really easy to use. Once the burners are on you can control them separately with their individual temperature dials.
The control panel is plated with chromium. The lid of the grill has a comfortable stainless steel handle and a built in thermometer.
The cooking grates are made from wire coated with porcelain enamel to make them easier to clean.
There is 339 square inches of cooking space along with 132.8 square inches of warming space which you can use to toast buns or to keep your cooked meat nice and warm.
There are also two side tables which offer helpful storage and preparation space. These shelves fold away for easy storage.
- Portable – This grill weighs less than 40 pounds and has wheels which makes it portable
- Materials – It is made from durable stainless steel, with a chromium plated control panel. The cooking rack is coated with porcelain to make it easy to clean
- Space – There is plenty of cooking space along with a keep warm area and foldable side tables for preparation
- Hazard – If you do not clean out the grill properly it may catch on fire when it is next used
- ❤ STAINLESS STEEL BURNERS: This propane gas grill has 3 Stainless Steel burners, can put out 30,000 BTU-per-hour with integrated piezoelectric ignition system, quick start up with the push &turn of a control knob
- ❤ FEATURES: The whole Stainless steel control panel with chromium plating control knob makes this propane gas grill more study and delicate, a stainless steel handle and a built-in stainless steel thermometer on the cover lid, two foldable tables and two heavy duty wheel casters for storage and moving
- ❤ PORCELAIN-ENAMEL WIRE COOKING GRATES: The cooking area of our propane gas grill is 471.8 include 339 square inches for cooking and 132.8 square inches for warming
- ❤ ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS: 46.46 L x 20.87 W x 41.14 H inch, and 29.5 inch Length when folding both of the side table of the propane gas grill
- ❤ MULTIFUNCTION AND PRACTICAL: This propane gas grill is perfect compliments any outdoor space like backyard, garden, courtyard, terrace and balcony of most family, alternative all season for outdoor cooking
This large, heavy duty gas grill is ideal for catering for large groups. It has a huge cooking area of 683 square inches, including a warming rack of 210 inches.
The cast iron cooking grates are coated with porcelain which makes them very easy to clean and maintain. The unit is made from durable stainless steel.
This grill has four main burners and a side burner, so you can cook up onions etc in a frying pan to go with your burgers.
Each burner has a separate temperature control so you can adjust the heat on the different areas of the rack.
The temperature controls are back lit with LED lights, so you can still see what you are doing even if you are grilling at night.
There are two side shelves which offer plenty of preparation space, and they have accessory hooks for you to hang your grilling utensils.
There is also storage space underneath the grill. This grill benefits from an electronic ignition system which is very reliable and easy to use.
It has a removable drip tray to catch all of the grease, making it really easy to clean the grill after each use.
The lid of the grill has a built in thermometer which lets you know then the grill has reached the desired temperature.
This grill has wheels for easy portability, but they also lock into place for safety.
This means that when you have maneuvered the grill into your chosen position, you don’t need to worry about it rolling away.
- Size – This grill is ideal for large groups as there is plenty of cooking space along with a warming rack
- Storage – It has a storage cabinet underneath the grill, two side shelves for preparation, and accessory hooks to hang your utensils
- Burners – The grill has four burners with individual temperature control and an extra side burner
- LED – The temperature controls are back lit with LED lights
- Ignition – The grill has an electronic ignition
- Maintenance – The grill has a removable drip tray and porcelain coated rack for easy cleaning
- Portable – There are wheels for easy portability, but they lock in place for safety
- Propane Hose – Some customers found that they needed to upgrade the propane hose as it was leaking
- Accessory hooks – The accessory hooks are not universal and do not fit all utensils
- STAINLESS STEEL BURNERS - Four main 304 stainless steel burners and one stainless steel side burner with total 60,000 BTUs deliver powerful heat and performance
- LARGE COOKING AREA - 683 square inches of total cooking area offers plenty of grilling space; 473 square inchea of primary cooking area and 210 square inches of warming rack area
- CAST IRON COOKING GRATES - Porcelain coated, cast iron cooking grates designed for even cooking
- STURDY CONSTRUCTIONS - 430 stainless steel lid.Black powder coating side shelves,door,side panel and base panel
- ACCESSORY HOOKS - Two side shelves with tool hooks for easy access for your tools
We have given you our recommendations for the best gas grill under 500 dollars.
Now it is time for you to narrow down your choice and decide which grill is going to be best for you.
Here are some things that you should consider when making your decision.
Even though all of these grills are below 500 dollars, they still range in price.
Think about how much money you want to spend on your grill before you start looking, as this will ensure that you don’t go over budget.
You need to think about how many people you are going to be cooking for at any one time.
If you often cook for very larger groups of people then you may want a grill with a cooking space of over 400 square inches so you can fit upwards of 15 burgers on there at any one time.
This will likely be a 4 burner grill. If you have a smaller group of friends and family then you could use a smaller grill, perhaps a 3 burner which will fit 10-15 burgers.
Remember that the more burners your grill has, the more gas it will use and the more expensive it will be to run.
Grills are known for being awkward to clean. If the grill rack is coated with porcelain enamel then it will be much easier to clean after each use.
Another feature to look out for it a removeable drip day. This will collect all for the meat juices and fat drippings during cooking, making it much easier for you to dispose of them and to clean the grill.
If your grill is made from rust resistant stainless steel then it will be able to withstand various weather conditions.
This means that you may be able to keep it outside. You need to make sure that the lid is sturdy and covers the burners.
If the side tables are foldable this will make it easier for you to store the grill.
If your grill has foldable shelves or side tables this will make it much easier for you when it comes to cooking food.
It gives you a surface to place your utensils on, and to prepare your food.
Finding a grill with an electronic ignition will make it much easier for you to use, as lighting your grill will take a matter of seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Should You Store Your Gas Grill?
When it comes to storing the propane tank, you need to follow all safety guidelines.
You can store the grill itself outdoors if it is made from rust resistant material. You may still want to put a cover over it.
During the winter months it is best to store your grill indoors, perhaps in a garage or a shed.
How Do You Clean Your Gas Grill?
Make sure you wait for your grill to cool completely before you attempt to clean it.
Remove the drip tray if there is one, and dispose of the solidified grease. Clean the drip tray with warm soapy water.
Use a cloth and warm soapy water to clean the grill racks. Do not drip water on the gas burners.
Make sure you clean all areas of the grill to prevent a fire hazard.
How Many Burners Should My Grill Have?
If you are cooking for a large group of people you may need a 4 burner grill with lots of cooking space.
If you are cooking for a small or medium group of people then you may only need a 3 burner grill.
Are Gas Grills Better Than Charcoal Grills?
Charcoal grills provide a distinctive smoky flavor to your food. However, the charcoal does not burn cleanly so you will be generating smoke.
It is hard to control the temperature, and it requires effort to light and maintain the grill.
A gas grill is very easy to use and you can control the heat and maintain a consistent cooking temperature. The fuel burns cleanly so you will not be generating lots of smoke.
However, gas can be dangerous and you need to be careful when using the propane tank.
You don’t need to spend a fortune in order to get yourself a good gas grill. There are plenty of great gas grills for less than 500 dollars.
They vary in size, so make sure that you get one big enough to meet your needs. Whichever grill you choose, remember to maintain it carefully so that it lasts you a long time.