While many search for the perfect grill, they are often left unsatisfied. They often purchase a gas grill yet feel disappointed when they can’t get the delicious flavors of a smoked brisket.
Or they will purchase a smoker and feel regretful as they can’t get the perfect sear on that delicate, juicy cut of steak.
It can really feel like there is no winner
However, just when you feel like giving up on your search for the perfect grill to impress at the family cookout, we are here to save the day!
Smoker grill combos are an amazing investment, especially if you want to dazzle everyone at the BBQ this weekend.
Although, with so many smoker grill combos on the market choosing the right one can seem impossible.
So, we have created this simple guide that will cover 5 of the best smoker grill combos on the market, a helpful buyers guide and we even answer some of the most commonly asked questions.
Read below to find out what smoker grill combo you should be taking home to the family!
When purchasing your first smoker grill combo, you will want to go with a reliable, well-respected brand. Char-Broil have worked hard to develop a well-known brand that produces high quality grills and smokers for a budget friendly price.
Their smoker grill combos are included.
Unsure how hot your smoke grill needs to be to achieve the perfect, mouth watering results you want? Use the temperature gauge and never over or under cook again. You can also put the side table to good use for plating up your delicious burger or as an extra grilling space.
The Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker is a good quality smoker grill with a durable sheet steel exterior making it perfect for searing your tender steaks to perfection.
Although, you may be left with some burn marks on your grill but we feel it adds to the character of the equipment.
- Price. This smoker grill combo offers high quality grilling, smoking, and durable materials for an inexpensive price.
- Multiple Dampers. This allows you to control the temperature under the lid easily.
- Clean Out Door. Easily clean the inside of your smoker grill with the clean out door.
- No Automation. As you cook up your favorite meals you will have to be in a close proximity to the grill as there is no temperature automation control.
- Exterior. While the sheet steel exterior allows Char-Broil to offer their smoker grill at a more affordable price, a higher-quality material would make this equipment better.
With the help of the Sportsman Series Combo Grill, you may create mouthwatering flavors for grilling game, smoking jerky, or whatever else your outdoor adventure may require.
This powerful smoker grill combo brings together the combinations of wood pellet smoking (see also ‘Best Smoker Pellets‘) and gas to allow you the ability to create hearty, rich flavors with whatever you cook.
With 8 features including smoking, baking, roasting, grilling, barbecuing, char-grilling and searing, there isn’t much you can’t do with the Pit Boss Sportsman 1230
You may achieve instant direct or indirect heat in a temperature range of 180° to 500°F by using the ground-breaking Flame Broiler LeverTM.
Without having to lift the cover, you can track fuel, monitor meat doneness, and adjust cooking temperatures thanks to the dial-in digital control board and Pit Boss® meat probes. Set it and forget it, and let the Sportsman take care of the work.
All of these amazing features make the Pit Boss Sportsman 1230 worth the investment for your everyday outdoor cooking needs.
- 8-in-1. Grill, sear, bake, smoke, roast, BBQ, and char-grill to your heart’s content with the Pit Boss Sportsman 1230.
- Flame Broiler Lever. Instantly have a heat of up to 500 Fahrenheit with the Flame Broiler Lever.
- Hopper viewing window. Watch as your dish cooks inside the smoker grill through the hopper viewing window.
- 5 Year Warranty. In the event that your Pit Boss Sportsman 1230 breaks you can easily get it fixed with the Pit Boss 5 year warranty.
- Price. While this appliance is of great quality, the price is rather extravagant for most people.
- Advanced. This smoke grill will provide excellent skills, however, if you are a beginner you may experience a few learning curves at first.
- Pit Boss PB1230SP Sportsman Wood Pellet and Gas Combo
- Hardwood Pellet Fuel and Propane Gas Fuel
- 180°F to 500°F temperature range of
- 8-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, roast, bake, braise, barbecue, char-grill, and sear
- 1,261 sq.in of cooking capacity
The Char-Griller 1224 Smokin Pro is a conventional charcoal barbecue with a built-in side firebox measuring 250 square inches.
It is constructed of heavy-duty steel and includes a cast iron cooking grate that is adjustable and ideal for searing meats to seal in flavor. It also includes a double-thick bottom that increases the smoker grill’s overall longevity and prevents rusting.
With the storage capacity to hold that is large enough to cook 4-5 racks of ribs at a time and the handy charcoal drawers that make adding charcoal and scooping out ashes simple, it is of no shock that the Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro is one of the top picks.
For even and effective grilling, the airtight flanged cover and movable dampers help to maximize heat convection and circulation. You can smoke and grill food while adding wood chips for richer flavors.
This smoker grill combo is a fantastic, cost-effective choice that is ideal for large BBQs. While it may take some getting used to, the result is worth every little change.
- Materials. This smoker grill combo is made of heavy duty steel, a double thick bottom, and with a cast iron cooking grate making it highly durable and perfect for daily use.
- Size. With a capacity large enough to house a whole chicken or 4-5 racks of ribs, this appliance is large enough for serving large crowds. It also has 2 exterior shelves and an underbody rack for storing accessories and large bags of charcoal.
- Airflow. This combo has great airflow and features adjustable dampers to help maximize circulation throughout the grill.
- Price. You are purchasing an efficient, high quality smoker grill combo for an extremely affordable price.
- Built-in Temperature Gauge. While a temperature gauge is often useful, it can also be highly inaccurate and cause you to over or under cook.
- CHARCOAL GRILL & OFFSET SMOKER - Charcoal Barbecue Grill & Smoker with Side Fire Box attachment perfect for high-heat grilling and low and slow Texas-style smoked barbecue
- MULTIPLE COOKING AREAS - Smoke a brisket on the 580 square inch primary cooking area and grill burgers and hot dogs on the 250 square inch Side Fire Box cooking area (830 square inches total)
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION - Made from heavy-gauge powder coated steel with a double bottom for increased durability, and nonstick cast-iron cooking grates for maximum heat retention
- BBQ GRILL FEATURES - Adjustable Fire Grates, Bottom Storage Rack, Stay Cool Wood Handles, Wheels for Easy Mobility, and Front & Side Shelf Workstations with Barbecue Tool Storage Hooks
- EASY TO USE & CLEAN - Control the airflow and temperature levels with ease using the dual dampers and Thermometer, and quickly clean up after the barbecue using the removable Easy Dump Ash Pans
Traeger Grills (see also ‘How Does A Traeger Grill Work?‘) is one of the most known and most trusted brands when it comes to producing grills, smokers, and wood pellets. And they have created the Texas Elite 34.
This simple grill offers automatic smoking with an innovative pellet-fed function allowing you to have a relaxed, hands-off cooking experience.
If you find that your food is never the way you want it, this smoker grill combo comes with a built-in digital controller. It controls and maintains the temperature within a 20 degrees range. Perfect for smoking a big juicy brisket or cooking a chicken to mouth watering standards.
The non-stick porcelain grill is a small feature which makes this high-tec grill so special. This grate helps distribute heat and makes cleaning up quick and simple. The auto-start ignition also makes starting up your grill easy during the harshest of winters.
- Pellet-Fed Function. The pellet hopper can hold 18 pounds of wood pellets which the pellet-fed function uses to move even the smallest of pellets to the main grill.
- Auto-start Ignition. The built-in flame rod is unlikely to fail even in the coldest of weather.
- Built-In Digital Controller. Never worry about your grill burning too hot as these features can maintain a set temperature within a 20 degrees range.
- Insulation Blanket. In order to gain a consistent flavor throughout the winter you may require the insulation blanket.
- Never use gas or charcoal again: cooking with wood just tastes better. Traeger created the original wood-pellet grill as the ultimate way to achieve wood-fired taste
- Assembled Grill Dimensions: 54" W x 22" D x 49" H | Weight: 125 lbs
- Versatile Barbecue Cooking: Hot and fast, or low and slow, the Texas Elite 34 pellet grill offers 6-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and bbq food to juicy perfection
- Protect Your BBQ Grill at All Times: Made of heavy-duty, all-weather material to protect your grill from rain, sun, and snow
- Avoid Water Damage: Water resistant to ensure your grill stays dry
Compressed wood pellets are moved over an electrical heating element by the Woodwind Pellet Grill’s effective power auger.
As a result, the grill may swiftly reach temperature in just 5 to 10 minutes. In addition, the computerized controller handles everything for you. A pellet grill is almost as simple to use as a home oven.
Now the main attraction for this grill is the rather large sear box. This can reach an incredible 900 degrees that allows you to cook to absolute perfection. With all of the flavors and juices contained to make everything utterly divine. You can even use it without having to turn the entire grill on!
This cost-effective smoker grill combo is an amazing choice if you are looking for a grill that offers amazing results with a lower price point.
- Power Auger. Reach your desired temperature swiftly with the power auger.
- Sear Box. Quickly reaching temperatures of 900 degrees this function keeps all of those juice and flavors inside so nothing escapes.
- Price. A high-quality grill with a more affordable price.
- Capacity. The overall capacity of the grill is generally smaller than other combo grills.
- ALL NEW WIFI & Bluetooth PID controller automatically maintains cooking temperature with 4 meat probe ports and meat probes.
- 160 F to 500 F temperature range from slow smoking to grilling (25,000 BTU).
- Dial in your smoke level with our Smoke Control with settings 1 - 10.
- Slide and Grill technology that allows for direct flame cooking with temps up to 650 F.
- Patented Ash Kickin' Cleanout system that allows you to dump the ash after every cook.
As you can see there are multiple great options for high-quality smoker grill combos that will meet all of your needs. However, what makes each one stand apart?
We have devised a simple buyers guide to help you better understand the inner workings of a great smoker grill combo.
Materials are an important factor to consider when choosing a smoker grill combo.
Although the majority of conventional grills and smokers are constructed of coated carbon steel, rust will eventually set in. A form-fitting cover and regular seasoning (see also ‘How To Season A Blackstone Grill‘) will significantly lengthen their longevity.
If you happen to live in an area which is prone to more humidity then you want to consider investing in an appliance made of aluminum, stainless steel, or enamel. These materials help prevent rust.
It’s a good idea to acquire a grill body that is as thick as possible once you have selected your preferred material. Metal that is 10 or 12 gauge is fairly durable and, even if it rusts, has enough metal to last for years.
Smoker Grill Type
Smoker grill combos come in all different forms, each one having its set of pros and cons. It can be overwhelming to figure out which type of combo would work best. We have put together a list of common smoker grill types below.
Charcoal Grill And Side Smoker
A charcoal grill (see also ‘How To Put Out A Charcoal Grill‘) with a side smoker box for flavored wood chips would be a traditional choice. This allows for quick and simple grilling and can range from low-end devices with basic automation to fully automated rigs that use an electronic control panel to adjust vents and dampers.
While this type of smoker offers great advantages, it can be rather irritating to clean. You may need to invest in a disposable ash pan or line it with tin foil to help minimize the time you spend cleaning.
Propane Grill And Smokers
This is another popular type of smoker. Due to the higher BTU rating of propane, this type of grill is mostly used for grilling. However, it offers a great quality smoke.
They are incredibly user-friendly and offer excellent temperature control with the turn of a knob. To create that mouthwatering low heat smoke ring, these devices frequently have a smoker box added to the side.
Pellet grills are often more expensive, however, they offer a hands-off cooking experience which is often worth the price. They use smoker pellets, a power auger, and a digitally controlled fan which maintains your desired temperature.
You may prefer a pellet grill if you enjoy making your own unique blend of flavors using wood pellets.
However, when selecting a pellet grill you should be aware of the downsides. Pellet grills (see also ‘How Do Pellet Grills Work?‘) often lack the ability to have high heat options.
Generally they can only be heated to around 500 degrees which may not meet your needs. Although, some models have an additional propane sear box which allows you to seal in those delicious flavors and juice without an extra unit.
Hybrid Combo Grills
The final option is a hybrid of any of these systems. Due to their distinctive characteristics and wider cooking areas, these frequently fall into the medium and high-end categories.
But overall they offer the adaptability of propane, the low temperature of charcoal, and that mouthwatering smoky flavor. These only have one drawback, despite having a sizable total cooking space. At times, the various cooking areas can feel a little crowded.
Source Of Power
The most common source of power for smokers and grills is fuel. This can have a large impact on the type of grill you decide to purchase.
- Propane. Propane is one of the most common types of fuel used when it comes to grills and smokers. This is a liquefied petroleum gas that is mainly used for water heating, clothes drying, cooking and refrigerating food. This is great for portability as it can be purchased in large gas canisters for easy transportation.
- Charcoal Lumps and Briquettes. This is a more traditional source of power for grills and smokers. Charcoal lumps and briquettes are recommended when you are wanting a deep, natural smoky flavor. Not to mention it is completely safe for your food to absorb and for you to inhale.
- Electric. If you want to travel with electric grills, you must have a consistent supply of power, which calls for the use of a generator. Natural gas will limit where you can use your barbecue because the required pipe needs to be installed in your backyard to supply gas to the burners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Navigating the world of smokers, grills, and hybrids can be difficult. Especially if you are new to the game. That’s why we have answered the most frequently asked questions and made it simple.
What Is A Smoker Grill Combo?
A smoker grill is made to smoke meat in a long, horizontal chamber that is placed alongside the heat source rather than directly above it. Because you don’t have to move the food out of the way to add coals or wood to the heat source, this makes adjusting the heat and replenishing the fuel much simpler.
Do You Open Or Close The Vent On A Smoker?
The open vents will take smoke from the wood and charcoal below, allowing it to properly swirl over your meal and exit the top while providing the finest ventilation possible. Close the top vent almost all the way if the fire gets too hot.
Can You Put Water In The Bottom Of A Smoker?
Either place the drip pan below the cooking grate or place the roast holder in the drip pan. Put the 2 to 3 liters of water, beer, apple juice, or wine in the water pan if you’re using a smoker. The drippings can then be collected by placing a drip pan with a little water in it on the cooking grate’s bottom
Whether you are just entering the world of smoking and grilling or have been around for a while, it can be difficult to know what makes the best results.
Take a look at our 5 best smoker grill combos and find your perfect appliance for grilling or smoking your favorite cuts of meat.