When you are preparing meat, you need to make sure that you are using the best knife.
This will make your job a lot easier and will ensure that your results are as good as possible. But which knives are the best for cutting meat?
We have put together a list of the best knives along with a review of each product. Keep reading to find your ideal knife.
Here are our recommendations for the best knives for cutting meat.
Mairico Premium Carving Knife
This carving knife is ideal for slicing meat. It is made from premium stainless steel which can handle any type of meat.
The blade is long and very sharp, so you can use it on large or small cuts of meat and still get precise results.
The knife is well balanced with an ergonomically designed handle. It is comfortable and secure to grip so you can use it safely.
The blade is 11 inches long and the whole knife weighs just under a pound.
The knife comes in a presentation box so you can keep it safe.
This also means that you can gift it to someone as the presentation is impressive.
- Material – The knife is made from premium stainless steel
- Versatile – You can use the knife on all types of meat
- Size – the blade is 11 inches long
- Ergonomic – It well balanced with a comfortable handle
- Sharp – Some customers found that the knife was delivered blunt and they had to sharpen it themselves (see also ‘How To Sharpen A Japanese Knife‘)
- IMPECCABLE PERFORMANCE: The long, ultra sharp blade is engineered to deliver highly precise cuts with minimal effort.
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN, SUPERB QUALITY: Most desirable length by professionals. Sharp blade with premium stainless steel engineered to excel on all cuts of meats, including big roasts. It is also designed to last.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Provides well-balanced weight distribution and secure grip to make you safe and comfortable. Fits perfectly in your hand.
- VERSATILE: This 11” slicing knife works well with different types of meat. Long enough to cut through brisket, pork loins, turkey, ham, smoked salmon and roast. It can also be used to slice fruits and vegetables.
- TOP PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE: We're confident you'll find the knife amazing, delivering enjoyable feel to each cut. But if you're not happy for whatever reason, simply return it for a FULL REFUND.
Imarku Japanese Chef Knife
Japanese knives are well known for being excellent quality. This one is made from high carbon stainless steel and is designed for precision.
The added carbon in the blade makes it more sturdy and durable, ensuring that it will last for a very long time and continue to deliver great results.
It also prevents tarnishing, keeping the blade shiny.
This knife is multi-functional – it can cut, dice, slice, chop, and bone meat.
It is rated between 56 and 58 on the Rockwell Hardness Scale Which means it is very tough.
Japanese engineering ensures that the blade is extremely sharp, making it easy to produce thin and accurate slices.
This knife has a handle made from Pakka wood which has been ergonomically designed to reduce finger fatigue when using the knife for a long period of time.
The wood comes from Africa and is a premium material.
- Quality – The knife is made from quality materials and benefits from Japanese engineering
- Metal – The blade is made from carbon stainless steel which doesn’t tarnish, is durable and sturdy
- Versatile – This knife has multiple functions including slicing, chopping and boning
- Handle – The handle is ergonomically designed for comfort
- Sharpening – Some customers have found that the knife needs to be sharpened often to retain it’s extreme sharpness and precision
- High-Carbon Stainless Steel Blade- It is manufactured from high-quality stainless steel that maintains its functionality for a long time. And to boost its sturdiness, the steel contains 0.6-0.75 carbon. This makes it two times as hard as other knives in its class as they contain about 0.3% carbon.
- Multi-functional Knife- The gyutou knife is classified and designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications .It cuts,dices,slices,chops and also cuts meat off bones. It comes with a HRC( Rockwell Hardness Scale) of 56-58 which makes it among the tough knives in its class.
- Ergonomic Pakka Handle- To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, finger numbness or aches after holding it continuously for an extended time the knife's handle is made from Pakka. This is material that originates from Africa and its known for its comfort, strength and stability.
- Ultra-sharp Edge- Sharpness is key to achieving the best cuts and this is evident in the knife's blade which is quite sharp and will remain this way even after tough tasks such as cutting tough meat or removing flesh from bones. The sharpness is further boosted by use of the latest Japanese engineering.
- Corrosion Resistance Stainless Blade- In addition to carbon, 16-18% chrome is also included in the blade's metal composition. This gives its a glossy finish which will not tarnish even after using it for a long time, making it the perfect gift for mother's day, father's day, wedding and birthday.
Cutluxe Carving Knife
This knife is ideal for slicing and carving and is made from German stainless steel which has added carbon.
The knife has a Rockwell Hardness Score of above 56 which means it is very durable.
You can slice lots of different types of meat with this knife – soft brisket, thin prosciutto, roast turkey and much more.
The blade is sharpened at a 14 to 16 degree angle to give you maximum precision and performance.
The Pakka wood handle has a full tang and triple rivets to ensure a secure and comfortable grip. This also allows you to easily maneuver the knife.
The handle is laminated which makes it super easy to wash and maintain.
This impressive knife has a lifetime warranty so you can tell that the manufacturers have faith in their product.
- Material – The blade is made from German high carbon stainless steel and the handle is made from pakka wood
- Quality – The knife has a rockwell hardness score of over 56 which means it is tough and sturdy
- Versatile – You can slice and carve lots of different types of meat with this knife
- Handle – The full tang handle is comfortable and easy to maneuver
- Sharp – Some customers found that the knife needed to be sharpened before it could be used
- PREMIUM PERFORMANCE – Perfectly engineered slicing knife tapered to a razor-sharp edge for effortless carving and slicing of brisket, turkey, roast, ribs, prosciutto and other meats.
- RAZOR-SHARP GRANTON BLADE EDGE – Hand sharpened edge at 14-16 degrees per side for maximum sharpness & edge retention ensuring precision slicing every time.
- FULL TANG ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Luxury pakkawood handle that is triple-riveted for sure grip and absolute stability that ensures comfort and maneuverability. Laminated and polished for a sanitary build, perfect for busy kitchens.
- PREMIUM GERMAN STEEL – Precisely forged of high-carbon German steel engineered to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness for long lasting performance, rust and stain resistant.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - We’re proud to say we believe in our blades. Your Cutluxe slicing knife comes with lifetime warranty against material or workmanship defects, purchase without risk.
Mueller Meat Cleaver Knife
If you are looking for a heavy duty meat cleaver, this knife is ideal. Both the blade and the handle are made from stainless steel.
It is easy to clean, resistant to rust and corrosion, and quick to re-sharpen.
This cleaver knife can be used for all sorts of tasks in the kitchen – dicing, mincing, chopping and slicing etc.
The blade is sharp enough to also use the knife for boning meat. It can be used on lots of different types of meat and large or small joints.
The handle is designed to prevent your hands and fingers from becoming numb even if you use the knife for a long period of time.
It feels sturdy in your hand and won’t slip from your fingers, making it easier for you to get on with what you need to do.
- Material – The whole knife is made from stainless steel which is durable and easy to maintain
- Versatile – You can use this knife for lots of different tasks in the kitchen
- Handle – The handle is really comfortable and sturdy
- Sharpness – Some people found that his knife needs to be re-sharpened often
- Premium Durability And Quality - Mueller Super Sharp Cleaver Knife is made of high-quality stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration, quickly re-sharpens, easy to clean and maintain.
- Multi-purpose Cleaver’s Knife - Designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications and it can be used for your daily kitchen tasks, this durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Extremely Sharp Edge - Sharpness is key to achieving the best cuts and this is evident in the knife's blade which is quite sharp and will remain this way even after tough tasks such as cutting tough all kinds of meat or removing flesh from bones. The sharpness is further boosted by use of the latest engineering.
- Safety And Comfort- To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, finger numbness or aches after holding it continuously for an extended time the knife's handle is ergonomic and provides you a secure comfortable grip, not easy to slip, sturdy and labor-saving.
- Superior Quality With Mueller - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life easier. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us. Our unparalleled 24/7 live telephone customer support is ready and waiting to assist with anything you need!
Mercer Curved Boning Knife
This knife is specifically designed for boning meat. It has an 8 inch blade made from Japanese steel.
It is super sharp and can be used for trimming fat and sinew as well as boning all sorts of types of meat including fish.
The high carbon steel is long lasting and sturdy. The handle is made from polypropylene with non-slip, textured finger points to ensure that you can maintain a good grip on the knife.
It’s really easy to maintain this knife – simply wash it in warm soapy water after use.
This knife can be used in a domestic or a professional setting.
- Material – The blade is made from Japanese high carbon steel and the handle is made from durable polypropylene
- Function – The knife can be used for trimming and boning all sorts of types of meat
- Ergonomic – The knife is well balanced and has a non-slip ergonomic design
- Function – This knife is great for boning but not ideal for dicing and mincing
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Knives are crafted with high-carbon Japanese steel for easy edge maintenance and a razor sharp blade that lasts
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: Built to last ergonomic handles with textured finger points offer a non-slip grip with added comfort, durability, and safety
- BEST USE: For separating meat from the bone. Ideal for deboning chicken, ham, and fish, or trimming fat and sinew
- EASY CARE: To maximize the performance and longevity of your Mercer knife, carefully wash cutlery by hand after each use with warm water and mild soap; rinse and dry completely with a soft towel. Do not place in dishwasher or submerge for long periods of time
- MERCER CULINARY ULTIMATE WHITE SERIES: An exceptional combination of quality, design, materials and craftsmanship for the value minded kitchen; perfect for professional use or the home cooking enthusiast
Viking Meat Cleaver Knife
The 6 inch blade of this knife has a deep design which makes it suitable for lots of different tasks in the kitchen.
The blade is also curved which makes it more versatile – you can slice meat, trim fat, debone, mince, dice, and chop.
The blade is made from high carbon stainless steel which is sharp and sturdy. It retains its sharpness and is very sturdy.
The wooden handle is rounded for a smooth and easy grip.
You will need to make sure that you don’t put this knife in the dishwasher and you dry it immediately after washing to prevent rust.
This knife comes with a leather sheath that you can attach to your belt. This makes the knife portable – you can keep it to hand if you are spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
Or you can use it as a camping knife, ideal for outdoor BBQs, fishing or hunting.
- Versatile – This knife has a versatile design which is ideal for lots of tasks
- Material – The high quality carbon stainless steel is very durable
- Handle – The handle is smooth and comfortable
- Sheath – The knife comes with a leather sheath
- Rust – If you don’t dry the knife immediately the knife could become rusty
- Premium Quality – Keep in mind that this handmade high carbon steel boning knife is not dishwasher-safe. You will need to hand-wash it and keep it clean and dry to resist rust after each use. Compared with meat knives made by general stainless steel, our forged kitchen knives have an extraordinary performance in edge-retention and a longer service life. The 6-inch sturdy blade passed multiple hand-grinding processes for an incredibly sharp cutting edge.
- Unique Leather Sheath -- The outdoor chef knife is equipped with a practical soft leather sheath to protect the blade. You can put a belt on it for easy carrying when camping outdoor. The portable camping knife is your ideal assistant for Butchering, Fishing, Camping, and Outdoor BBQ activities.
- Stylish & Practical – Unique hammered texture on the blade make it beautiful to behold and corrosion resistant while it also helps to prevent foods from sticking. Curved wood handle and large finger hole on the blade provides a secure grip for excellent control while filleting fish, chopping vegetables and deboning meat. The Full Tang design prevent this fillet knife from falling easily.
- Multipurpose -- This handmade meat cleaver is classified as a multi-function kitchen knife. The curved blade is perfect for many kitchen tasks like trimming brisket, slicing meat, and chopping vegetables, breaking down a whole chicken and deboning of lamb ribs.
- Well Packaged – All of our boning knives pass strict quality control before shipped and well packaged in an elegant box. We provide 100% SATISFACTION WARRANTY and 30-day money back guarantee for quality issues. It’s definitely an ideal gift for your lovers, family members and friends who loves cooking and knives.
Imarku Japanese Meat Cleaver
This is a Japanese steel meat cleaver knife which is ideal for anyone who prepares meat.
It has a 7 inch blade that can be used for chopping, mincing, boning, slicing, flattening and much more.
The blade is hand sharpened to an 18 degree angle on each side. The Japanese steel retains its sharpness and is resistant to rust and corrosion.
The pakka wood handle has an ergonomic design which can be used by right handed or left handed people.
It won’t slip from your hand, it feels sturdy and well balanced, and it is easy to maneuver.
This knife comes with a lifetime guarantee which gives you peace of mind that this is a high quality product.
- Material – This blade is made from Japanese steel and has a pakka wood handle
- Versatile – It can be used for lots of different tasks involving meat and vegetables
- Durable – The blade retains its sharpness and is resistant to rust and corrosion
- Ergonomic – The handle is ergonomically designed to be super comfortable and practical
- Warranty – The knife comes with a lifetime warranty
- Balance – Some customers found that this knife was front heavy due to the weight of the blade
- Multi-purpose Cleaver: The classic 7" Chinese kitchen knife easily handles your everyday kitchen needs such as chopping, mincing, slicing, boning, cutting meat, vegetables and fruits, and flattening garlic or ginger. Easy resharpening, cleaning and maintenance. Designed and made for the everyday needs at home and restaurants’ kitchens. Nice kitchen essentials for new home.
- Professionally Ground Sharp Blades: Hand sharpened by experienced artisans. The kitchen knife has an 18° angle on both sides of the blade and a very thin, ultra-sharp blade thickness of 2.3mm. The wide blade of this chopper knife allows the chef's fingers to work perfectly away from the cutting surface. Durable and strong, it cuts into large pieces of food with great ease.
- Extremely HC Outstanding Stainless Steel from Japan: This imarku Meat Cleaver is forged from excellent Japan imported high carbon stainless steel SUS440A for high quality, easy maintenance, edge retention and long lasting sharpness. It has extremely strong rust and corrosion resistance.
- Ergonomic Pakkawood Handle: The wooden handle of the imarku Chef’s Cleaver knife is made of Pakka wood for excellent corrosion resistance, durability and easy maintain. Its handle is ergonomic and provides a comfortable grip and high maneuverability. Prevent slippage, sturdy and effortless. For left-handed users, it is also of great performance.
- 100% Lifetime Warranty: We guarantee lifetime free replacement, so you don’t have to wonder if you are risking your money. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, our professional customer support is always here for you! Comes with a luxury gift box, which makes it a wise choice for Thanksgiving and Christmas gifts for culinary students, home cooks, professional chefs, etc.
Paudin Chef Knife
This is a good all-rounder knife that you can use for lots of different tasks in the kitchen (see also ‘A Complete Understanding Of Kitchen Knife Types‘).
The blade is made from high carbon stainless steel and the handle is made from wood.
The blade is 8 inches long and can be used for slicing, mincing, dicing, chopping and much more.
The knife is 2mm thick and has been sharpened to a 14 to 16 degree angle. It is very sharp and has been cooled with liquid nitrogen and then hand polished.
The knife has a score of over 56 on the rockwell hardness score which means it is durable and tough.
The blade is integrated into the handle creating a well balanced and comfortable knife.
- Versatile – You can use this knife for lots of different tasks in the kitchen
- Material – The blade is made from high carbon stainless steel
- Blade – The blade is 2mm thick and is sharpened to a perfect angle
- Durable – The knife is durable and sturdy
- Ergonomic – The handle has an ergonomic design
- Weight – Some people found that this knife was not heavy enough in the hand
- [Professional Chef's Knife] This PAUDIN kitchen knife is suitable for cutting bread, vegetables, fillets or meats etc, and is also suitable for home and professional use. Cutting like a master chef will bring you more joy in the kitchen.
- [Multi-Functional Chef Knife] This 8 inch chef knife can easily handle your daily chores in kitchen of chopping, slicing, mincing and dicing fruits, vegetables and several meat varieties including fish, chicken and beef etc. It truly is the all-around cooking knife.
- [Ultra Sharp Knife] For any meat knife sharpness is the most important feature and at PAUDIN we ensure to provide you our best sharp knives in the market. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2mm, which is ideal to do the job well. Hand polished by craftsman with decades of experience to ensure long-lasting sharpness.
- [Ergonomically Wood Handle] This PAUDIN chef knife has a blade that is integrated with a soft and comfortable handle which gives you the perfect grip. The ergonomic shape gives you the right balance between the handle and the thin blade, ensuring ease of movement.
- [Best Design & Customer Service] This knife has a blade that is special waved pattern is particularly striking (5Cr15Mov stainless steel kitchen knives, not real Damascus). We offer 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK policy. PAUDIN knife provides a lifetime against defects in material and workmanship.
SpitJack Butchers Trimming Knife
This is a handy boning knife with a 6 inch blade. It is ideal for jobs like boning, skinning, trimming with precision, reducing waste and increasing your efficiency in the kitchen.
The blade is made from stainless steel and the synthetic handle is very long lasting and easy to grip.
This knife is really comfortable to use, even if you have been preparing meat for hours.
It is designed to reduce fatigue in your hand and to give you optimum maneuverability.
It’s really easy to maintain and look after this knife as it is dishwasher safe. It is made from food grade stainless steel that doesn’t rust.
- Material – It is made from food grade stainless steel
- Comfortable – The knife handle is designed to reduce fatigue
- Maintenance – The knife is dishwasher safe and easy to maintain
- Function – The knife is great for boning, trimming and skinning but not for carving or chopping
- TRIM BRISKET AND BEEF FAT EFFORTLESSLY AND PRECISELY. STRIP YOUR BONES CLEAN IN MINUTES: Superior sharpness and a curved 6 inch blade make trimming fat from meat easy. Reduce errors by cutting precision and end up with less waste and a better looking result. De-boning is faster and more efficient.
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE AND SHAPE: Designed for use by professional butchers and chefs, these knives are used commercially for boning, fillet, skinning and meat cutting. The handle is sturdy and comfortable, even after hours of use. A well-balanced blade reduces fatigue and gives you better leverage on each cut.
- SAFE AND EASY TO CLEAN: Made from food-grade stainless steel, this boning and trimming knife will not rust and will last for years with proper care. Dishwasher-safe (although we recommend hand washing and sanitizing).
- BARBECUE PITMASTER & COMPETITION TESTED: This is the knife used by competitors and restaurateurs. Details make a difference when someone is judging or paying you. The right tool is a must for the pros, now you can have it too.
- NO MORE HACKING AWAY WITH YOUR GOOD KNIVES: Keep your fancy knives for show and carving or slicing the big sections of meat. For separating the joints and bones, or for getting the last bits off the bone, use our boning knife. More dexterity and less force will make all you knives last longer.
Homaider Electric Carving Knife
This electric knife is great for carving.
It helps you to slice meat evenly without having to use your own strength and use a perfect sawing motion – the knife does all of the hard work! It is lightweight and comfortable to hold.
This knife is great for meat, but can also be used on bread, cheese, fish, fruit and vegetables.
The knife comes with two precision blades made from stainless steel which is suitable to be washed in the dishwasher.
It also comes with a large meat fork to help you with your carving.
The knife is designed to be as quiet as possible and to have reduced vibration in the handle so it is comfortable to use.
It has a dual safety lock to keep the blade in place while the motor is running.
- Electric – The knife does the hard work for you
- Versatile – You can use this knife on lots of different types of food
- Safety – It has a dual safety lock
- Function – This knife is great for carving but not other kitchen tasks
- 💪 FAST & EASY SLICING: HOMAIDER Electric Knife allows you to make perfectly even slices fast and without having to apply much pressure or sawing motion! Improved 70.9 inches(1.8 m) extra-long cable allows you to slice your products in a convenient place! The lightweight design of the electric knife makes it easy to hold with one hand. Enjoy your perfect slices regardless of your age!
- 👍 HIGH QUALITY & ERGONOMIC DESIGN: HOMAIDER Electric Carving Knife features an ergonomic handle for comfortable product handling and easy meat, bread, fish, cheese, large vegetables & fruits carving. The two precision stainless steel blades included with the HOMAIDER Electric Knife package are strong, durable and designed to last. The removable blades are dishwasher-safe for fast and easy cleanup!
- 😎 LOW NOISE & VIBRATION: Clever product design provides you with all the power needed to easily and quickly carve through the meats, bread and more without excessive noise and vibration!
- 🛡 DUAL SAFETY LOCK: A specially designed safety lock feature keeps the blade locked in place to avoid accidental activation and to ensure your safety. HOMAIDER Electric Knife is ETL certified and fully safe to use!
- ✅ U.S. BASED CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Each Product includes a 1 Year Cover provided by HOMAIDER in addition to the Amazon 30-days refund or replacement timeframe.
When it comes to choosing your ideal knife, there are lots of things that you should consider. Here are some of the most important:
One of the most important things you need to think about is what you are going to be using the knife for. It is not as simple as just ‘cutting meat’.
Are you carving cooked meat? Are you boning a joint? Do you need to trim fat? Do you need to remove skin?
Will you be using this knife for other kitchen purposes like chopping, dicing and mincing?
Different blade designs are used for different tasks, so you need to know that the knife you choose will meet your needs.
Most kitchen knives are made from stainless steel. High carbon stainless steel is best as it is more sturdy and durable and retains its sharpness.
There is an ongoing debate as to whether Japanese stainless steel or German stainless steel is better.
The handle of the knife could be made from synthetic materials like polypropylene, woods like pukka wood, or stainless steel like the blade.
A knife needs to be comfortable to hold and easy to use. This comes down to the ergonomic design. Is the knife well balanced?
Is the handle non-slip? Does the knife feel sturdy in your hand? Some knives are designed to reduce fatigue in your hand if you are using the knife for a long period of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Clean Your Knife?
You need to make sure you keep your knife clean to keep it in good condition. You also need to remove any harmful bacteria transferred from the raw meat.
Most knives should be washed with warm soapy water.
Can Knives Become Rusty?
Some knives are made from stainless steel that is resistant to rust and corrosion. Others are vulnerable to becoming rusty.
You need to make sure that you dry your knife immediately after washing to prevent the formation of rust.
Do You Need To Sharpen Your Knife?
All knives will need to be sharpened after a certain amount of use. This will ensure that the blade remains sharp and the performance remains precise.
You can sharpen your own knives or pay a professional to do it for you.
What Are Knife Handles Made From?
Knife handles tend to be made from one of three materials. They could be made from stainless steel as a continuation of the blade.
They could be made from a synthetic, plastic type material like polypropylene. Or it could be made from wood, with or without a laminated coating.
If you are looking for a knife that is ideal for cutting meat then there should be something on this list to suit your needs.
Whether you want a carving knife, a boning knife, a meat cleaver, or a general purpose knife, there is something for everyone.
Make sure you check out the buying guide to ensure you choose the right knife.